Nissan vehicles, including the Rogue, Frontier, Altima, Murano, Xterra, and Titan, are known for their reliability and performance. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or someone who prefers handling minor vehicle maintenance tasks, knowing how to jack up Nissan is essential for various purposes like changing tires, performing oil changes, or inspecting the undercarriage.
However, it’s crucial to approach this task with caution, as improper jacking methods can lead to serious accidents. In this article, we will guide you through the proper steps to safely jack up your Nissan model.
Gathering the Necessary Tools and Equipment:
Before starting, ensure you have the required tools and equipment for the job. You will need a hydraulic floor jack with the appropriate weight capacity, sturdy jack stands, a lug wrench, and a set of wheel chocks.
Please note that it is essential always to choose a floor jack and jack stand with a higher load capacity than your specific Nissan model. This precaution is necessary to prevent any unexpected events or accidents during the lifting process. Using equipment with a higher weight capacity than the vehicle ensures that it can handle the weight of the car safely and securely.
By adhering to this safety measure, you significantly reduce the risk of equipment failure or collapse while working underneath the vehicle, promoting a safer and more efficient maintenance experience. Always prioritize safety and invest in high-quality, appropriately rated tools and equipment to protect yourself and your Nissan model.
Related: What Size Jack Do I Need For My Car?
Identifying Proper Jacking Points for Each Nissan Model:
Each Nissan model has specific jack points designated by the manufacturer to ensure safe and stable lifting. Familiarize yourself with these points by consulting your vehicle’s owner’s manual. Find out more about these points below.
The Nissan Rogue is a popular compact SUV, and knowing the correct jack points is essential for safe lifting. To locate the proper jack points, start by examining the vehicle’s side panels, just behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels. Look for designated areas with reinforced structures, which are usually marked by small notches or indentations.
These points are engineered to withstand the pressure of the vehicle when lifted. Place the hydraulic floor jack directly under these reinforced areas to ensure a stable and secure lift. Avoid using other parts of the vehicle, such as the plastic body panels or suspension components, as jack points, as this could lead to severe damage.
For the Frontier, the recommended jack points are located along the frame rails. Examine the underside of the vehicle, looking for notched sections on both sides of the frame, near the front and rear wheels.
The Altima’s jack points are typically located under the vehicle’s side rocker panels, situated between the front and rear wheels. Look for marked areas with reinforced structures, providing stability during lifting. Avoid using the engine cradle or any other components not specifically indicated as jack points.
Nissan Murano, Titan & Xterra:
The recommended jack points for these Nissan models are almost the same as the other models mentioned above. However, it is crucial to consult your vehicle’s manual for more accurate and model-specific jack points. Each Nissan model may have slight variations in its designated jack points, and relying on the manual will ensure that you lift your vehicle safely and avoid any potential damage.
Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to identify the correct jack points and proceed with confidence during maintenance tasks. Prioritizing accuracy and safety will lead to a successful and incident-free jack-up process for your Nissan Murano, Xterra, or Titan.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Jack Up Each Nissan Model:
Follow these steps to properly lift your Nissan vehicle:
1. Preparing the Vehicle and the Area:
- Park the car on a flat and level surface.
- Engage the parking brake to prevent any accidental movement.
- Place wheel chocks behind the tires on the opposite end of the vehicle you are lifting.
2. Placing the Jack in the Correct Position:
- Position the hydraulic floor jack under the designated jack point for your Nissan model.
- Ensure the jack saddle is correctly aligned with the jack point to prevent damage to the car’s body.
3. Lifting the Vehicle Carefully and Steadily:
- Slowly pump the jack handle to raise the vehicle off the ground.
- Check for any signs of instability during the lifting process and adjust as needed.
4. Placing Jack Stands for Added Safety:
- Once the vehicle is raised to the desired height, place the jack stands under the reinforced jack points.
- Slowly lower the vehicle onto the jack stands.
- Ensure the jack stands are secure and evenly supporting the weight of the car.
5. Lowering the Vehicle Safely:
- Carefully remove the hydraulic floor jack from under the vehicle.
- Gently lower the car onto its wheels by releasing the pressure on the jack stands.
Safety Tips and Precautions:
- Always use wheel chocks and engage the emergency brake before lifting the vehicle.
- Never work under a car supported solely by a jack; always use jack stands.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for using a hydraulic floor jack.
- Exercise caution when working on uneven surfaces.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Jacking Up a Nissan Vehicle:
- Disregarding the vehicle’s manual guidelines for proper jack points.
- Using inappropriate jack points, leading to potential vehicle damage.
- Overloading the jack beyond its weight capacity, risking a jack failure.
- Neglecting regular maintenance of the jack and stands, compromising their safety.
Learning how to jack up your Nissan Rogue, Frontier, Altima, Murano, Xterra, or Titan correctly is essential for your safety and the longevity of your vehicle. By following the outlined steps and adhering to safety precautions, you can confidently perform maintenance tasks with peace of mind.
Always prioritize safety, invest in quality equipment, and consult your vehicle’s manual for specific instructions. With this knowledge, you’ll be well-equipped to handle various tasks and maintain your Nissan vehicle effectively.
Related: Top 3 Best Car Jacks for the Money